Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Post 1: After-school Programs


I am very interested in the benefits of after-school programs because of the volunteering experiences that I have been involved with. After-school programs provide numerous, positive efforts for children in crucial years of their life. After-school programs are especially beneficial for children being raised in low-income communities. They provide children with an older role model that they can turn to for help. They also provide children with meals, homework help, learning activities and depending on the different programs possibly bible study lessons. Well-run programs keep up with the children’s education levels, discipline problems, and physical or internal disabilities. They provide many children with that extra encouragement needed that might not be given to them within their families.

The past two years I have had the opportunity to volunteer with one and been able to witness the impact they have on children’s life. This program truly does give children a safe place and environment to go to after school when many of their parents are still working. They are able to engage in activities, such as field trips that they normally would not have been given the chance to do so. The program I volunteer for has qualifications the child has to meet and also offers limited spots. It is sad to see children get put on waitlists or even get turned down. I think our society could do a better job of increasing the amount of beneficial after-school programs. Many studies have shown the positive increases it makes in a child’s life including decreases in crime related activities and an increase in graduation rates.

Observation:

I saw a homeless man wondering in the alley behind the place I live in tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Blog Comment #1: The after-school program you volunteer for sounds really interesting! What is it called? I definitely agree that there should be more programs like that, it gives children incentive to succeed, and it allows volunteers to influence the children towards positive, happy, and rewarding experiences in life. I was wondering what the qualifications are? When there are limitations to who can participate, it makes it hard for service organizations to be equal, but on the other hand, I think these limitations are necessary to properly address the issues of low-income communities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also wondered if after-school programs might also have a role in helping kids learn basic social survival skills around cooperation, respect, good work habits, etc... If an after-school program was required for those roles, the academic school day would be able to focus more on academics and parents mgiht just learn a little something, too.

    ReplyDelete