Last week in my class, Social Work Practice in Organization and Communities, we discussed implementing change at the organization level. We discussed a few different types of change and how people should go about change. Some different types of change we discussed were empirical, normative, power and environmental. I never thought in depth about how difficult change within an organization could be. You have to think about your clients and other employers. I can see how it can be very difficult to take in everyone's considerations when trying to change something when people are already content with the way things are. Although implementing change at an organization level is difficult, it also made me realize that change is an important for the growth of the organization. In class we split into groups and were all given a problem about how an organization should go about change. My group's problem was about a women shelter that was trying to expand to include opportunities for women with children. We saw how difficult it was to come up with ideas on how to go about this while trying to consider costs and other staff and clients concerns.
Talking about change in general made me think about how afraid I am of change in my life. I realized I have no real reason to be afraid of things changing within my life. It made me realize that change helps you grow and expand in many positive ways. I feel like I am sometimes too content with my life because I fear change. I am now working on overcoming this by changing certain things in my life that will positively impact me to help me realize that change is not always a bad thing and more likely a good thing.
Observation: This weekend I witnessed how people are affected differently when dealing with a death of a family member.
It's hard to make changes in our lives when we aren't sure if they'll cause a positive outcome or not. Good for you for trying to step out of your comfort zone! I've been trying to do the same thing this semester so I know it's challenging.
ReplyDeleteI've been going through a lot of change myself and it's been pretty tough. It's easy to grow content and it's hard to implement positive change that's best for the individual and others. I learned a lot this lesson, and it's made me see a lot of things differently.
ReplyDelete